Jobs at The Uptime Group
Senior Systems Engineer
Established in 2001, The Uptime Group is a small but growing IT services company in Golden, Colo. offering a very entrepreneurial environment. We are looking for an IT professional who embraces challenge and enjoys making a difference to both the company as well as to our customers.
This position will bring you into many local small- to mid-sized businesses, where you will perform project management, installations, troubleshoot and maintain networks, provide consultative guidance and offer technology recommendations. Some of the work will be done remotely, but you will primarily be working solo when onsite, so you need to be able to work well independently, be resourceful, and able to work under pressure. You must be able to quickly assimilate new information, as you may be required to support an unknown application without advance notice. Our engineers represent the company when at our customers’ sites, thus you are expected to develop and grow our customer relationships. Excellent customer care, communications skills and professional presence are a must.
Starting pay is dependent upon your experience, abilities, attitude and energy, and your total compensation potential at this level is $60,000-85,000. The Uptime Group provides full benefits, including medical, short and long-term disability, mileage reimbursement, vacation/sick time, 401(k) and parking ticket reimbursement, plus an awesome work environment, work/life balance and exceptional long-term earning potential. You must pass a criminal background check, drug test and credit history check in order to be considered for employment.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, please email your resume with cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
The Senior Systems Engineer possesses a very high level of technical knowledge and is able to apply it to customers’ technical issues. You research, design, install and support IT solutions for customers, perform project management, maintain customer uptime and improve their computing environment through best practices, including effective monitoring, maintenance and problem identification and resolution. You have the ability to design and implement firewall security, local/wide area networks and storage solutions. You also have basic business acumen to understand the customers’ businesses in order to align IT with their business goals. You assist other technical staff members in resolving issues. You multitask to support a variety of network and end-user environments, interfacing with executives, business owners, managers and end-users. You maintain The Uptime Group's positive reputation with existing customers through exceptional service delivery, by providing onsite and remote desktop support to customers who have critical response-time requirements for their business technology systems. You demonstrate superior communication skills in responding to diverse customers with urgent needs while recognizing they are looking for solutions, not technical explanations. Other tasks may be assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, install and support technology solutions for our customers
- Manage, maintain, troubleshoot and support our customers’ networks, equipment, software and other related services
- Identify user problems while working within a structured problem management and resolution process to remediate them
- Work with other internal and external resources and vendors to deliver effective support services
- Identify, document and troubleshoot users’ computing issues to resolution while maintaining customer satisfaction
- Utilize PSA, RMM, and other service-specific tools and technologies to deliver onsite and remote user support services
- Update service order information with accurate documentation of all activities conducted
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers that further enhance The Uptime Group’s positive reputation through exceptional customer service
- Maintain a professional and clean appearance
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Technology, related field of study or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in supporting Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
- Desktop software such as Microsoft Office suites
- Expert server support skills and understanding of Windows 2003 and 2008
- Advanced knowledge of Exchange, SQL and other Microsoft core network systems
- Networking, Internet connection issues, as well as the ability to configure network devices such as routers and managed switches with VLANs
- Working knowledge of all protocols used by current technologies and their cascading effects on all parts of networks
- Advanced desktop and router VPN design, configuration and connectivity troubleshooting and configuration (Cisco, SonicWall, OpenVPN, IPSEC)
- Security software such as filtering firewalls, antivirus, antispam, antispyware and other security related technologies
- Ability to analyze IP traffic patterns and use tools such as Wireshark, Ethereal, etc.
- Backup systems
- Linux skills are a major plus
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver's license
- Proof of automobile insurance required
- Any Microsoft certification
- Minimum 4 years experience as a service technician, systems engineer or related position
Other (not required)
- Linux skills are a major plus
- Project management experience
- Personnel management experience
- 6 or more years of relevant work experience
- Experience as part of a Microsoft partner organization
- Experience working for a managed services organization
- Security clearance